CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, March 7, 2008

Life's unfortunate events

For the past month, I have been trying to endure some health challenges. I feel like my body is falling apart. It all started while I was at my mom & dad's. On Friday, Feb. 1st I had what I thought were bruises on both shins. The only catch was that I couldn't remember hitting myself hard enough to get these bruises. By the end of the day, they had grown larger, looked like a small ball was under my skin, turned bright red, and were very hot to the touch. They were also slightly painful to the touch, and it hurt to walk. In the morning, I had a hard time getting out of bed because my legs were so tender. As the day worn on, I started to feel worse. It was almost like I had the flu; I was achy & tired, and I would get chilled very easily and not be able to warm up. Sunday, the pain was worse. I could hardly get around. My legs were in constant pain. Just resting, they burned, and if anything touched them it hurt. I was also developing more nodules on both legs. My lungs were also having a hard time. If I did very much, I would feel pain and tightness in my chest. And for no reason, I would get sharp stabbing pains in my lungs. Monday morning the pain was even worse. It took everything I had to just move. Not only were my legs in incredible pain, but my joints were also feeling the effects. I took some Tylenol so that I was able to make it back to Boise. Thankfully, my Aunt Elyse came with me. I don't know if I could have made it without her help. That night my ankles and feet were extremely swollen. I went to the Dr. and he diagnosed me with what is called Erythema Nodosum. Here is a site that has a lot of good information if you are interested in learning a little bit more http://www.geocities.com/erythema_nodosum/ .


Here is what my legs looked like in the 13th of February.


EN is caused by an underlying condition, and so I had some blood tests done, and a chest X-ray. My blood work came back normal, but I had swollen lymph nodes in my lungs. My dr. sent me for a CT and referred me to a pulmonologist. After having a bronchoscopy (a small fiberoptic tube is put down into my lung to take a biopsy and fluid sample), I have been diagnosed with Sarcoidosis . Here is another link for those interested http://groups.msn.com/SarcoidBuddies/. Basically my immune system is overreacting. It is producing immune cells that are collecting in the lymph nodes in my lungs. I am also suspicious that it is affecting my eyes as well, but I will not know until next week when I see an opthamologist. Hopefully, this will work itself through in about 3 yrs, but only time will tell.
So, needless to say, February has been a difficult month. I have been tired, and in extreme pain at times. Most of my days are spent trying to keep off my feet. There are many times when I start getting shooting pains up my legs if I stand for any length of time, and my feet and ankles get very swollen and more painful if I do very much. It has been a struggle doing this with my three little ones. However, I have been incredibly blessed My ward has really been here for me. There have been meals brought in for the past few weeks, and the kids have been picked up several times a week to give both them and I a break. The time to rest has been much appreciated, and Brayden & Carly welcome the opportunity to get out and play. (Unfortunately they have been doing a lot of TV watching.) I am so thankful for the wonderful ladies who have been willing to do so much for me. I don't know how I would have done it without them. Heavenly Father has truly blessed me through this time.

1 comments:

Mindy K said...

Nicole, I'm so glad you have a good ward. Take care of yourself and get as much rest as a mother possibly can. I hope everything is okay. Glad your doctors knew what to do. Wish we were closer to be more useful. Take care. Love ya, Mindy

p.s. cute bloggin updates by the way. I think I wasted like three days playing around with mine.